History of the Deutsche Schule Pretoria

1897       Friedrich Klingenberg, a young German carpenter, bequeaths sufficient money to build a German school and opens a trust to provide financial support to the    school.

1899        Pastor Grünberger, a minister of a protestant congregation, founds the Deutsche Schule Pretoria together with Consul Bierman. He was also responsible for writing the school’s constitution.  On 4 December 1899 classes started for 43 girls and boys. It was declared that the school would also be open to other nationalities.

1921        A piece of land is bought on the corner of Visagie and du Toit in Pretoria.

1923        15 March 1923 the new school is officially opened.

1929        On 8 November 1929 the German school found its own association with its own constitution and governing body.

1936        A hostel in the house of Mr Schopf was started

1947        The Hermann-Hopfer-fund is establish to help parents with the financing of the school fees.

1957        The number of pupils has risen to 208 of which 165 have German as their Mother tongue. In this year the parents association is established.

1968        An eighth class is opened – the beginning of a high school

1972        The first matric exams are written.

1975        The first shovel of ground is dug for the new school in The Willows.

1977        On 26 March 1977 the new school in The Willows is officially opened. and the annual school bazaar becomes the Oktoberfest.

1981        On 25 November 1981 the school officially opens the Preschool.  On 16 May the hostel is opened at the new school.

1985        On 7 September 1985 the Kindergarten opens its doors.

1987        On 25 April 1987 the school starts its Outreach Programme, known then as the “Teilzweig”.  A new building is erected for the “Teilzweig” and officially opened in 1990. The Teilzweig is integrated into the school from class 7.

1993        DSP has its first Abitur class (Postmatric).

1994        The school becomes a voting station at the first democratic elections in South Africa.

1995        The Outreach Programme is extended and the children are integrated into the school from class 5.

1999        Building of the Media- and Computercenter –  financed with the help of Daimler Chrysler and the Snyckers Family Trust.

1999        Centenary of the Deutsche Schule Pretoria

2000        The new art center is completed and is called the BMW centre for Art and Technology as BMW financed the building.

2002        A visit to the DSP by Federal Chancellor of Germany, Mr Rau

2003        Exceptional achievements in Abitur

2004        Opening of new Music Center – 10th Olympiade by the German schools in Southern Africa takes place at the DSP

2005        Total revamp of large and small swimming pool

2006        30th Oktoberfest

2007        First time DSD-exam (German Language Diploma) written at DSP – DaimlerChrysler sponsers a 17-seater Sprinter bus – Grieg Concert in memory of the
Norwegian composer’s year of passing away.

2008        First time the National Senior Certificate (NSC) examination is written at the DSP and country wide – the Kindergarten accepts children at the age of 18 months – the new Oktoberfest concept is implemented.

2009        The Abitur examinations after 13 years of schooling were written for the last time that year.

2010        The DSP celebrates the Soccer World Cup in SA – all games are shown live on a big screen in the DSP Aula. The Kindergarten turns 25 years – festivities take place on 23.10.2011 in the  courtyard.

2011        New English-medium branch, starting with grade R and grade 8 – Hosting of a meeting between the  orchestras from the German Schools of Johannesburg, Cape Town, Windhoek and Pretoria with a  final concert in which 99 students participated – Renovation of the swimming pool and the After School Care Centre – after 29½ years Ms Innes, deputy head, bids the DSP farewell.

2012        The BLI-stamp (school of excellence) is being awarded to the DSP – first classes grade 1 and grade 9  (Eng. Branch) are introduced – first scholar exchange with La Réunion – first time the Viennese Ball in Pta takes place at the Sheritaon Hotel, organised by 3 DSP-mothers – DSP-Robotics team participates in the World Robotic Olympiad in Kuala-Lumpur –  laying of the foundation stone of the Primary school extension

2013        New primary school building inaugurated (V-block), regenerative energy measures implemented to excisting buildings, start of the German Crèche in Sept.

2014       Werner von Siemens Forum completed; DSP-orchestra gets invited to perform in Berlin at the World Congress of the Schools
Abroad (WDA)

2015       The DSP wins 2nd place in an international competition of German schools with the theme of inclusive living and learning.
Inauguration of  “Werner von Siemens Forum“
Musical “Circle of Life“ performed by DSP learners in the Brooklyn Theatre.
Visit by the vice president of the German “Bundestag“, Mrs Ulla Schmid.
Inauguration of the BOSCH-Robotics- Laboratorium in the presence of the German Ambassador Lindner and Dr. Thill,
President of BOSCH in the African region.

2016      The DSP wins the first prize in the international competition „Leaners building bridges“ in Berlin in the presence of the German
Foreign Minister,  Frank Walter Steinmeier.
The DSP hosts the first Science Week where learners from Grade 1 to 11, as well as, learners from our partner schools in
Mamelodi and Eersterust  experienced science and technology first hand.