CAREER ORIENTATION PROGRAM 2015
Our Grade10 learners will be taking part in a 2 week Career Orientation Program.
Our Career Orientation Program has been highly successful ever since its inception in 1997. Through this program, our grade 10 pupils can experience the professional world first hand. All parties involved – from the companies, pupils, and parents to the teachers regard the experience gained as valuable and beneficial to all.
The concern that most young people have no experience in the work place has been heard from all sides – businesses, schools, parents, and pupils. However, such contact cannot be expected from a career of twelve years at school directly followed by tertiary education.
Through our Career Orientation Program we try to establish a link between school and the workplace. This should lead to school-leavers having a much better idea of what to expect and in being better prepared for entering the job market. The Career Orientation Program gives pupils the opportunity to gain valuable insight into the career they might choose at the end of their school career. This experience may confirm their choice, or, on the other hand, it might cause them to reconsider their options.
Participating pupils shall, depending on the circumstances at their place of work, work under instruction and supervision for a certain period of time. In this way, they will get to know their talents, skills and capabilities. It will also afford them the opportunity to find out what are the demands of the profession of their choice.
• Career Orientation Program will be from the 11th of May 2015 to the 23rd of May 2015.
• Consent forms from parents needs to be handed back by Friday the 30th of January 2015. (Please note that the program is part of our educational process and schooling, therefor the pupils will not receive any remuneration. The certificate for participation will also appear in their matric portfolios therefore the program is compulsory.)
• The deadline for getting a job and the return date of the Company Consent forms is the 17th of April 2015.
• Entering of all personal as well as company details into the database must be done by the 24th of April 2015.
• All the documentation for the Career Orientation Program will be provided on the school website.
• Please note that the companies must have suitable work for the learner age groups, and each learner must be provided with a mentor from the company. Pupils are not allowed to do their internships at any family companies.
• The Companies itself must be within a radius of 30km of the Deutsche Schule Pretoria. However this may be negotiated in special circumstances in which case a formal written letter needs to be handed in to motivate the request.
• Learners are limited to work no more than 8 hours a day.
• No payments are allowed to be made to the learners by the companies.
• In case of an emergency or if a learner will not be able to make it to work on time, the learner has to phone the company and one of the Career Orientation teachers to let them know in time.
• Teachers involved in the Career Orientation Program are Mr Gehrke (Studium- und Berufsberatung, Career Guidance) and Mrs Bezuidenhout (Head of Subject Life Orientation).
Tel: +27 – 12 – 803-4106/7/8
Mrs M Bezuidenhout
HOS Life Orientation
Mr T Gehrke
Studium- und Berufsberatung